Writing about Art
Sometime in a past life I co-founded Big Sky Mind, an alternative Art space in Metro Manila with a couple of like-minded friends. At that time Art galleries refused to showcase new artists unless they had already had a show elsewhere. This created a weird Möbius loop of a dilemma that kept many great young artists out in the cold. Later, we branched out to music artists as well, launching many new bands and albums in the late 1990s and the first decade of the 2000s.
Although I am no longer active in the Art world, I still occasionally contribute articles, reviews and introductions to the exhibition catalogs — particularly for new, upcoming artists whose work should be shared for the world to see.
- Jon Jaylo (Cabinet of Curiosities, Ernst & Young Gallery, 29 November 2013 to 28 February, 2014)
- Geraldine Javier (Fictions, 27 September 2013) – Country Mouse; Four Seasons, Four Ages
- Guerrero Habulan (The Vicissitudes of Victoria, 13 June to 4 July, 2013)
- Prudencio Miel & Jose Tence Ruiz (Pacific Diptych, 8 to 29 November 2011)
- Ronald Ventura, Ruel Caasi, EJ Cabangin, Igan D’Bayan, Manok Ventura & Leeroy New (Alter Peace & Formation, 11 to 29 January, 2011)
Artwork above by Jon Jaylo from the book “Here be Dragons“